J. Welby Leaman, JD, Bentonville, AR
- Chair of the Nazareth Project Board, Welby Leaman volunteered at Nazareth Hospital in 1992. Leaman is a strategic thinker and leader. He is the Director of Latin American Government Affairs for Walmart. He was previously a Trade Counsel to the U.S. House of Representatives’ Ways and Means Committee and previously served at the Treasury Department and National Security Council, at law firms in New York and Washington DC, and in several positions in Latin America. He holds a B.S. from Messiah College and J.D. from Yale Law School and also serves on the board of MAP International. He is a member of Stumptown Mennonite Church in Bird in Hand, PA.
Eric S. Kennel, Lancaster, PA
- Vice Chair of the Nazareth Project Board, Eric Kennel has traveled widely and maintains an interest in the Middle East. He received his Masters in Public Administration from Penn State University, PA. Kennel brings a wealth of knowledge from the nonprofit world to his role as chair of the board’s projects fundraising committee. He currently works as Executive Director of Compass Mark in Lancaster, PA. Eric and his wife Elizabeth are members of Laurel Street Mennonite Church, Lancaster, PA.
Marjorie K. Crystle, Lancaster, PA
- Secretary of the Nazareth Project board, Midge Crystle brings a rich personal history and network to the table. She is the former executive director of The Nazareth Project and served in this capacity for twelve years. She also volunteered at Nazareth Hospital in 1993 and 1995, both as an instructor in the nursing school and as an clinic nurse. She received her B.S. in Nursing Education from Millersville University, Millersville, PA. She is a member of East Chestnut Street Mennonite Church, Lancaster, PA.
Berry Friesen, Lancaster, PA
- Berry served as President of Nazareth Project from January – June, 2016 when illness prompted his resignation. His prior vocational engagements included secondary education, the practice of law, senior management of Mennonite Central Committee, and public policy advocacy for food security, good nutrition and access to health care Berry is a 1979 graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School and a past member of the bar in Minnesota and Pennsylvania. He is a member of East Chestnut Street Mennonite Church in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and has authored two books: Water from Another Time: Today’s Questions, Yesterday’s Wisdom and If Not Empire, What? A Survey of the Bible.
Elias V. Haddad, M.D., F.A.C.C. Nashville, Tennessee
- Elias currently serves as Active Staff, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Consulting Staff for Muhlenberg Medical Center, Powderly, Kentucky; and Courtesy Staff for Gateway Medical Center, Clarksville, TN. Dr. Haddad is Director of the International Cardiovascular Scholars Exchange Program Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine. Elias received his Bachelor of Science from University of Tennessee, Knoxville and his MD from University of Tennessee College of Medicine Memphis. He completed his Residency in Internal Medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. Haddad was a Grant Wilkinson Chief Fellow in Clinical Pharmacology, Chief Fellow in Cardiovascular Medicine and Fellow in Interventional Cardiology, with Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Dr. Haddad’s extensive clinical and research expertise are a tremendous asset to us as we endeavor to assist The Nazareth Hospital with the addition of Cardiovascular Catheterization services. Since April 2013, Dr. Haddad has served as Sr. US Technical/Medical Advisor to The Nazareth Hospital on this project, and will return in 2014 to assist with staff-training.
Kim Haines-Eitzen, PhD, Ithaca, NY
- Kim lived in Nazareth as a child, during the years her father served as chaplain of Nazareth Hospital. She recalls tramping around archeological sites with her father, thoroughly bored. Now, Kim is Professor of Religion in Late Antiquity at Cornell University and a member of the Department of Near Eastern Studies. She completed her graduate studies at the University of North Carolina; her dissertation focused on “Literacy, Power, and the Transmitters of Early Christian Literature.” Kim is the mother of two sons; her husband, John, is a musician.
Jean Kilheffer Hess, East Petersburg, PA
- Jean is Director of Strategic Development for United Zion Retirement Community, Lititz, PA. She is responsible for leadership development, staff engagement, marketing, communications, branding, fundraising strategy, and Independent Living. Earlier Jean worked for Mennonite Central Committee for five years and founded two companies: Kilheffer Hess Consulting, LLC and StoryShare, LLC. She is a CPA with an accounting degree from Messiah College. Jean also has a MA degree from Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary. Jean lives in East Petersburg, PA and enjoys being active in the outdoors.
Wayne Speigle, Telford, PA
- Wayne is lead pastor of Blooming Glen Mennonite Church in PA. He has served as lead and interim pastor in several Mennonite congregations in eastern PA and Virginia and has been on the boards of charitable organizations and in Mennonite denominational leadership. He has studied in Israel/Palestine on several occasions.
Bruce E. Stauffer, Smoketown, PA
- Bruce brings years of strategic planning and project management experience to our board’s committee on fundraising for projects. Stauffer received his MA in Geography from Syracuse University Maxwell School and his BS in Geography from Clarion University of Pennsylvania. He currently serves as Vice President of Geospatial Technologies and Asset Management for EBA Engineering. Bruce and his wife are members of Trinity Lutheran Church in Lancaster, PA.
Andrew Steckbeck, Lancaster, PA
- Andrew is a partner at Simon & Lever Certified Public Accountants and Business Advisors where he concentrates his expertise on clients in the Nonprofit, Construction and Real Estate sectors. With more than 15 years professional experience, Andrew is a CPA and a graduate of Messiah College with a BS in Accounting. He is actively involved in service and leadership in numerous nonprofit organizations, including as Treasurer of NPI. Andrew and his wife, Joy, have three daughters.
Laura Meitzner Yoder, Wheaton, IL
- Laura directs the Human Needs and Global Resources (HNGR) Program at Wheaton College in Wheaton, IL, where she is the John Stott Chair and Professor of Environmental Studies. She has worked with multiple state universities, as well as local and international non-governmental organizations, in Latin America and Southeast Asia. She holds a B.A. from Messiah College, a M.P.S. from Cornell University, and a Ph.D. from Yale University in Forestry and Environmental Studies. She is a member of Lombard Mennonite Church in Lombard, Illinois.
Bonnie M. Zehr, M.D., Lancaster, PA
- Bonnie Zehr first traveled to Nazareth for a fundraising bike ride in 1996. She and her husband Jerry, (another cyclist whom she met during that ride), have continued to support Nazareth Hospital in subsequent years. Bonnie serves on our board’s PR committee. Dr. Zehr currently practices pediatric medicine with Roseville Pediatrics, Lancaster, PA. She completed her Pediatric Residency at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA, and received her Doctor of Medicine from Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA. She and her husband are members of Neffsville Mennonite Church, Lancaster, PA.
Nazareth Project Staff
Howard Good, Lititz, PA
- Howard serves as Executive Director of Nazareth Project and began that role on September 1, 2017. Earlier Howard was a vice president at Mennonite Economic Development Associates providing senior leadership for 22 years in the areas of community economic development and member products and services. During the 1980s Howard and his wife, Gloria, served with Mennonite Central Committee in Uganda and Zaire as unit leaders and country representatives. Prior to that Howard worked as a manager with Rosenberger’s Cold Storage in Hatfield, PA. Howard has a BA degree (economics) from Goshen College and a MA degree (Public Administration) from Penn State University. Howard and Gloria live in Lititz and are members of Lititz Mennonite Church. Their four married children live in Indianapolis and Philadelphia.
President: J. Robert Herr, Lancaster, PA
- Robert served as NPI’s Executive Director from July 2016 until his retirement in September 2017. During his tenure NPI increased private donors and foundation funding, restructured staffing, and began discussions with Nazareth Trust for revised and increased collaboration.
Grants Administrator: Karen Miller Rauch, Philadelphia, PA (2002-present)
Accountant: Roger Ledyard, Lancaster, PA (2007-present)