Members of NPI Board and Staff left to right:
Bruce Stauffer. Howard Good, Jean Kilheffer Hess, Eric Kennel, Midge Crystle, Elias Haddad, Laura Meitzner Yoder and Welby Leaman. (Not pictured: David George, Kim Haines-Eitzen, Wayne Speigle, Andrew Steckbeck)
Nazareth Project, Inc (NPI) is a 501-c-3 nonprofit corporation based in Lancaster, PA. and governed by a US-based board of directors. The NPI Board provides oversight to the operations and finances of NPI, including an annual audit.
NPI collaborates closely with Nazareth Trust, a Scotland-based trust that owns Nazareth Hospital, School of Nursing, Nazareth Village and SERVE Nazareth.
Nazareth Project and Nazareth Trust operate under a Memo of Understanding that is approved by both boards of directors. The executive directors consult regularly to plan joint initiatives.
NPI is led by Executive Director, Howard Good, and the NPI Board of Directors. The board meets four times per year – twice in person and twice by phone meeting. Current officers are:
- Welby Leaman, Chair
- Bruce Stauffer, Vice Chair
- Midge Crystle, Secretary
- Andrew Steckbeck, Treasurer
J. Welby Leaman, JD, Bentonville, AR
- Chair of the Board. Welby volunteered at Nazareth Hospital in 1992. He is the Director of Latin American Government Affairs for Walmart and was previously a Trade Counsel to the U.S. House of Representatives’ Ways and Means Committee. Welby earlier served at the Treasury Department and National Security Council, at law firms in New York and Washington DC, and in several positions in Latin America. Welby holds a B.S. from Messiah College and J.D. from Yale Law School and also serves on the board of MAP International. He is a member of Stumptown Mennonite Church in Bird in Hand, PA.
Bruce E. Stauffer, Smoketown, PA
- Vice-chair of the Board. Bruce brings years of strategic planning and project management experience to NPI Board leadership. He is Vice President of Geospatial Technologies and Asset Management for EBA Engineering. Bruce received his M.A. in Geography from Syracuse University Maxwell School and his B.S. in Geography from Clarion University of Pennsylvania. Bruce and his wife are members of Trinity Lutheran Church in Lancaster, PA.
Marjorie K. Crystle, Lancaster, PA
- Secretary of the Nazareth Project board. Midge brings a rich personal history and network to the NPI Board table. She served as the Executive Director of NPI for twelve years. She volunteered at Nazareth Hospital in 1993 and 1995, both as an instructor in the nursing school and as an clinic nurse. She received her B.S. in Nursing Education from Millersville University, Millersville, PA. She is a member of East Chestnut Street Mennonite Church, Lancaster, PA.
Andrew Steckbeck, Lancaster, PA
- Treasurer of the Board. Andrew is a partner at Simon & Lever Certified Public Accountants and Business Advisors where he concentrates his expertise on clients in the Nonprofit, Construction and Real Estate sectors. With more than 15 years of professional experience, Andrew is a CPA and a graduate of Messiah College with a BS in Accounting. He is actively involved in service and leadership in numerous community and nonprofit organizations. Andrew and his wife, Joy, have three daughters.
David George, Lancaster, PA
- David is e-Commerce Manager at Ten Thousand Village, Akron, PA Previously he worked in Europe with Tesco Stores, Streetcar Ltd. and Time Magazines Europe. David has a B.A. degree from eastern Mennonite University and an M.B.A. degree from Yale University. He and his wife, Jessica, attend East Chestnut Street Mennonite Church.
Elias V. Haddad, M.D., F.A.C.C. Nashville, Tennessee
- Elias is a cardiologist at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN where he specializes in interventional cardiology. He is the Director of the International Cardiovascular Scholars Exchange Program Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine. Elias received his Bachelor of Science from University of Tennessee, Knoxville and his MD from University of Tennessee College of Medicine Memphis. He completed his Residency in Internal Medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. Elias served as a Senior US Technical/Medical Advisor to Nazareth Hospital on the Heart Catherization Laboratory project.
Kim Haines-Eitzen, PhD, Ithaca, NY
- Kim lived in Nazareth as a child, during the years her father served as chaplain of Nazareth Hospital. She recalls tramping around archeological sites with her father, thoroughly bored. Now, Kim is Professor of Religion in Late Antiquity at Cornell University and a member of the Department of Near Eastern Studies. She completed her graduate studies at the University of North Carolina; her dissertation focused on “Literacy, Power, and the Transmitters of Early Christian Literature.” Kim is the mother of two sons; her husband, John, is a musician.
Jean Kilheffer Hess, Columbia, PA
- Jean is the Executive Director of Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society, Lancaster, PA. Earlier, Jean worked at United Zion Retirement Community and at Mennonite Central Committee. Jean founded two companies: Kilheffer Hess Consulting, LLC and StoryShare, LLC. She is a CPA with an accounting degree from Messiah College. Jean also has a MA degree from Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary. Jean lives in Columbia, PA and enjoys being active in the outdoors.
Eric S. Kennel, Lancaster, PA
- Eric has traveled widely and maintains an interest in the Middle East. He currently works as Executive Director of Compass Mark in Lancaster, PA. Eric brings a wealth of knowledge from the nonprofit world to the NPI board. He received his Masters in Public Administration from Penn State University, PA.. Eric and his wife, Elizabeth, are members of Laurel Street Mennonite Church, Lancaster, PA.
Wayne Speigle, Telford, PA
- Wayne is lead pastor of Blooming Glen Mennonite Church in PA. He has served as lead and interim pastor in several Mennonite congregations in eastern PA and Virginia and has been on the boards of charitable organizations and in Mennonite denominational leadership. He has studied in Israel/Palestine on several occasions.
Laura Meitzner Yoder, Wheaton, IL
- Laura directs the Human Needs and Global Resources (HNGR) Program at Wheaton College in Wheaton, IL, where she is the John Stott Chair and Professor of Environmental Studies. She has worked with multiple state universities, as well as local and international non-governmental organizations, in Latin America and Southeast Asia. She holds a B.A. from Messiah College, a M.P.S. from Cornell University, and a Ph.D. from Yale University in Forestry and Environmental Studies. She is a member of Lombard Mennonite Church in Lombard, IL.
Nazareth Project Staff
Howard Good, Lititz, PA
- Howard serves as Executive Director of Nazareth Project and began that role on September 1, 2017. Earlier Howard was a vice president at Mennonite Economic Development Associates providing senior leadership for 22 years in the areas of community economic development and member products and services. During the 1980s Howard and his wife, Gloria, served with Mennonite Central Committee in Uganda and Zaire as unit leaders and country representatives. Prior to that Howard worked as a manager with Rosenberger’s Cold Storage in Hatfield, PA. Howard has a BA degree (economics) from Goshen College and a MA degree (Public Administration) from Penn State University. Howard and Gloria live in Lititz and are members of Lititz Mennonite Church. Their four married children live in Indianapolis and Philadelphia.
Grants Administrator: Karen Miller Rauch, Philadelphia, PA (2002-present)
Accountant: Roger Ledyard, Lancaster, PA (2007-present)